- Attendance is mandatory. Absences will only be excused for illness, death in the family, or court appearance. This is the Howard County policy for excused absences. Each student must be present for the entire rehearsal time. If students arrive late or leave early, the entire group suffers. The purpose of full rehearsals is to develop a particular sound through balance and blend. If a student is absent from a rehearsal, he/she must bring a note from a parent explaining the absence. A student’s membership will be reviewed after one unexcused absences or excessive tardiness.
- Preparing the music is mandatory. Students are expected to practice at home in preparation for rehearsals.
- Cooperation among students is a must in any performing group. Students who do not cooperate (fighting, name calling, etc.) will be dismissed from the orchestra.
- Each student will be given a packet of music and a folder at the first rehearsal. Students must bring a pencil to mark things on their music. Make certain that the student’s name is on the instrument case. Cellos must have rock stops.
- Children must be picked up promptly at the end of rehearsal. At 7:10 the parent will be contacted. At 7:15 the emergency contact will be notified.
- There is a $75 tuition fee to cover the expenses incurred by providing this opportunity, including our performance T-Shirt. Please bring a check payable to “HCPSS” for $75 to the first rehearsal. Please put your phone number in the memo line of the check.
- Students should eat lunch before our rehearsals on Saturday. No lunch will be provided.
- Students are expected to wear concert attire during our Saturday rehearsals and performance. This includes the following:
Black pants, black socks, and black shoes
Knee-length black skirt with tights and black dress shoes
No sneakers please